'Tis The Season To Give Back
They say Christmas isn't about the presents, which I completely agree with, but there's something about giving to others that gives me sheer joy and happiness. The literal gift of giving is something that's really important to us at The Glitz Room. This year we decided to donate 100 Glitz On-the-Go mirrors to a charity hosted by Vancouver Business Babes, an amazing community of women helping entrepreneurs and small business owners (like me) succeed. Their charity, The Gift of Giving, raises money to put together gift bags for women in safe homes and recovery homes, and women on the Downtown Eastside. These gift bags are more than just gifts. These gift bags are a reminder to these women that they are not alone, they have support, and that there is so much hope for the future ahead. We're all about lifting each other up, so this was a local charity that we thought was perfectly aligned with our beliefs!
We recognize that making a monetary donation is not always feasible for everyone, but there are many other ways we can give back to the community. We put together a list of ways you can give back, if you're thinking of doing so! These are local charities (we're based in Vancouver, BC), but there are always other variations of these types of charities wherever you reside!
1) Volunteer your time - Almost all charities are in need of helping hands. This may look a little bit different because of Covid-19, but most will take the necessary precautions to keep everyone safe. You can find out more on their individual websites. Here are just a few:
- Union Gospel Mission - Provides food, shelter, and other services to those in need. Volunteers needed for everything from fundraisers to soup kitchens.
- The Salvation Army - The annual Christmas Kettle Campaign. Volunteers stand by to receive donations. Touchless donations are now available.
- WISH - Aims to improve the health and well being of women involved in Vancouver's street based sex-trade. They are looking for women over 19 to volunteer to prepare and serve food between December 23-January 2nd. Administrative and donation counting positions also available.
- Project HELLO - Volunteer to make handmade Christmas cards or donate supplies to help people in the Downtown Eastside connect with their families. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
2) Greater Vancouver Foodbank - Donate cash or non-perishable food items. Foodbanks are a great budget-friendly way to donate!
3) Covenant House Christmas Backpack Program - Help homeless youth receive a backpack full of gifts. Check out their website for a list of items that they are in need of.
4) Lower Mainland Christmas Bureau - Make a little one's Christmas this year by donating a toy. Due to Covid-19, special precautions are in place to ensure proper social distance. Call ahead to make an appointment to drop off your donations. (604) 253-7191
5) Lookout Society - Their Winter Clothing and Blanket Drive helps homeless and low-income families and individuals stay warm this season. They are also in need of personal care items and kitchen supplies.
These are just a few charities that you can give back to this holiday season. You can search for local charities similar to these in your area online. Let's work together to make everyone's holiday a better one! The holidays are always better when we're together, am I right?!