How to: Clean Your Makeup Brushes
Although the products we put on our faces usually take the spotlight in creating makeup looks, the tools we use to apply these products might actually be just as important (if not more) for that flawless application. As important as they are, it's often we forget to clean and maintain these tools - ie. our brushes and sponges. I, for one, am guilty for neglecting my brushes and beauty blenders for much longer periods than I would like to share. So, how often should we be cleaning our brushes?
Dermatologists recommend that face makeup brushes (used for foundation/concealer) be cleaned about once per week, where as brushes used around the eyes should be cleaned atleast twice per month. Build up on your brushes means bacteria growth and will also cause splotchy makeup application.
Steps for cleaning your makeup brushes:
- Rinse bristles under warm water
- Squeeze brush cleanser/shampoo on to your palm or silicone brush cleansing glove
- Gently massage bristles into cleanser/shampoo
- Rinse bristles and squeeze out excess water
- Reshape brush head and let bristles hang off a counter to dry. Do not the brushes on a towel to dry as this can cause mildew to form.
- Avoid getting the bristles too wet at the base of the brush head as this can cause the glue in the handle to break down and cause shedding
- You can buy a brush cleanser or use baby shampoo to clean your brushes. As an added option, add tea tree oil to baby shampoo for it's antibacterial properties
As for makeup sponges, if you're using one like the BeautyBlender, they are meant to be anti-microbial. However, they can still become filled with skin cells and other gunk, so cleaning them atleast once per week is very important. They also don't last forever; BeautyBlenders and sponges alike should be replaced every three to four months. Beauty Blender has it's own cleansing soaps available in solid or liquid form, both effective.
- BeautyBlender Liquid Blendercleanser $25
- Sigma Spa Brush Cleaning Glove $39
- Johnson's Baby Shampoo $6
- BeautyBlender Blendercleanser Solid $22
- Mary Tyler Naturals 100% Pure Tea Tree Oil $23